Injured through sport?
Sports injuries can be caused by overuse, direct impact, or application of force that is greater than the body part can structurally withstand.
Common injuries include bruises, muscle strains and ligament sprains, as well joint injuries including fractures.
Treatment depends on the type and severity of injury. Acute injuries can become chronic by overusing the injured area. Poor sporting technique and structural abnormalities can also contribute to the development of chronic injuries.
Sports and exercise therapy can help to rehabilitate the injury site, and depending on the injury, exercises will be used to promote strength and flexibility.
When treating sporting injuries we look to:
- Reduce swelling
- Maintain joint range of movement
- Reduce muscle spasm and tension
- Regain function
- Set an individual exercise program to improve strength and flexibility
- Posture and technique correction to prevent ongoing issues or re-injury
- Individual gym strengthening and mobility programs
- Provide strapping, taping or braces if and when required
- Safely return the athlete to sport